Tuesday, April 25, 2006

good boy, bad blogger.

So, after nearly a month of negligence, I somehow feel compelled to return to blogging.

I think I was prompted to return by a paper Jaime's doing, asking about MySpace, and other social networking / instant communication phenomena and how they've been popping up in society as of late.

We did a phone interview last night, where she asked me a number of questions about MySpace, how important it is to my life, what it enhances, what it detracts from, et cetera.

She asked me to make a list of things, positive and negative, that MySpace has contributed to my life. Then she asked which list was more difficult to make.

Funny enough that the positive list was more difficult.

Then I read an article on Wired about committing "MySpacecide." And for the past hour or so, I've found myself increasingly entertained with the prospect of erasing my page and stating that I only want to be contacted via AIM, email, or phone.

I feel like it could be an important step in my personal growth. No idea what direction that step would take me, but I feel like it would theoretically be important nonetheless.

Oh god, why did I just notice that I was about to split an infinitive, and correct the mistake?

Would emptying my MySpace and allowing it to rot change me, or change how I interact with people? Maybe time will tell.

In other news, I haven't been blogging because I've been busy starting the new job, doing the camping trip, and otherwise sorting my life out.

Note to self: pay credit card bill for month before you forget.

Believe it or not, I haven't been spending as much time on MySpace. Maybe because I'm growing bored with it, maybe because I'm starting to realize that of all the strangers that've come my way, only a few have been worth keeping around.

If the whole purpose of MySpace is finding new friends, and I've only found a few, then who the hell are all those other people in my "social network?"

I think I've answered my own question.

I think I just might take the plunge.

Of course, this is speculative. I actually have to sit down and do it.

And I might have to do it in the presence of friends.

No comments: